Tuesday, January 03, 2006

The Seattle Times: Living: The best way to teach philanthropy is by example

The Seattle Times: Living: The best way to teach philanthropy is by example: "Nation / World

Saturday, December 31, 2005 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

The best way to teach philanthropy is by example

By Jan Faull

Special to The Seattle Times


Q: My girls (3-year-old twins) are starting to ask questions about people we see holding signs at freeway on-ramps. I am unsure how to answer their questions.

I tell them the person is asking for a job, food or money, and that there are ways to help less fortunate people other than to hand them a dollar. I cite examples of our giving, but they want to know why I am not helping that person holding the sign right now, and I am not sure how to answer."

No comments: