Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Couch potato humanitarian - Opinion

Couch potato humanitarian - Opinion: "This past week, I became an investor in a small butcher shop in Agsu, Azerbaijan. It took just 10 minutes, and I didn't even get up off of my couch. I hope I can persuade you to do something similar.

You see, most college students, myself included, often think that we as individuals can't do much when it comes to tackling a big problem such as world poverty. It's the kind of issue where creating Facebook groups, wearing colored wristbands, attending rallies on McKeldin Mall and yes, writing in The Diamondback don't have much of a real-world impact.

Time and money are generally what it takes to make a difference, and college students are short on both. Bill Gates and Warren Buffet don't have to worry about paying for tuition, housing and drinks at Cornerstone. And students don't have much time to think about changing the world in between classes, internships, homework, parties, the gym and so forth."

No comments: